‘Healthy Fast Food Options – 6 Healthy Fast Food Lunch Ideas’ – Monica May
We all know fast food is not healthy and we should avoid it.
However, life happens.
We get so busy that we don’t really have the time to cook and eat a healthy meal.
I’ve been there so many times, and I know for a fact that there are moments when fast food is the only option.
And when choosing between skipping lunch and starving myself, or reaching out for a healthy fast food lunch option, I always choose the second one.
Even though fast food can never be as healthy as home-cooked food, it’s a fact that there are healthy fast food options out there for sure.
Especially when it comes to healthy fast food lunch ideas.
There are a couple of healthier options I usually go for, so I’m sharing them with you right away.
Let’s get started right away.
Healthy Fast Food Options – 10 Healthy Fast Food Lunch Ideas
I know, I know… No one really goes to a fast-food restaurant to order a salad.
However, that doesn’t change the fact that salad is the best option you can go for when it comes to fast food.
That’s mainly because whatever is inside it, the base of it is still a salad, instead of dough.
Here are some of the things you should look out for whenever you’re getting a salad from a fast-food restaurant:
- Make sure the protein in the salad is lean, and it’s prepared healthier (not fried) – chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, beans.
- Go through the ingredients in the salad before ordering to avoid unhealthy ingredients such as breadcrumbs.
- Get your dressing on the side, or ask what’s inside it first – many salad dressings contain mayonnaise.
One of my favorite healthy fast food options for salad is Wendy’s Mediterranean Chicken Salad.
Actually, at Wendy’s, you can find a whole variety of healthy salads.
Who doesn’t like burritos and tacos right?
Fast food wraps are not that healthy, mainly because of the tortilla and the way the meat is prepped (usually fried).
However, it can be customized to be a healthy fast food option, and here’s how:
- Instead of a tortilla, order it wrapped in lettuce.
- Make sure your protein is lean, either lean meat, pinto or black beans.
- Skip on the dressing, sour cream or cheese.
- Aim for brown rice.
One healthy fast food lunch would be California Style Lettuce Wrapped Burger from Freddy’s.
Yes, burgers can be a healthy fast food option too.
However, you’ll have to make sure to skip the bread and the french fries.
Here’s what to keep an eye on when ordering a healthy burger:
- Make sure the meat source is lean beef, turkey or chicken meat.
- Make sure it’s grilled, not fried.
- Order your burger without a bun. You can ask for it to be lettuce wrapped.
- Skip the bacon, cheese, and dressings.
#4 Sea Food
The next one of my healthy fast food options would definitely be seafood.
However, not all seafood is healthy, you’ll have to make sure to choose the right one.
Fish sandwiches are a big no. Go for clean pieces that are not deep-fried.
- Avoid breaded or dip fried seafood.
- Avoid dressings and dips – they usually contain mayonnaise or other unhealthy ingredients.
- Ask to see a list of ingredients before ordering.
- Make sure you pair it with salad or vegetables instead of fries or a bun.
I usually go for a piece of salmon sided with salad or quinoa, and Ikea meals are the absolute leaders here.
I also love sushi, but unfortunately, they are not that healthy.
They add rice vinegar and sugar to keep the rice and the whole sushi stick together.
However, they are still better than having a pizza, so keep that in mind as an option.
Ordering Chinese takeout is easy.
However, ordering healthy Chinese food is a bit tricky.
There are in fact lots of healthy fast food options, such as chicken with mixed vegetables or beef broccoli.
Here’s how to make sure you order healthy Chinese meal:
- Ask for the ingredients, and if any ingredient can be left out of the meal if it’s not that healthy.
- Ask for the way they prepare the dish – some are dip fried, while others are steamed or cooked in a vog pan.
- Get the dressing on the side.
I know a smoothie is definitely not the first thing that pops in your mind when thinking about healthy fast food lunch.
However, it’s an amazingly healthy and fast fix-up.
Also, be careful with smoothies too:
- Make sure it doesn’t contain more than two pieces of fruit.
- Order one with more seeds and nuts in it, to keep you full longer.
- Double-check the ingredient list for sugars, sweeteners and other unhealthy ingredients.
Find Your Favorite Place
The last tip would be instead of going for the biggest food chains and going through their menus to figure ot what to eat, just find a place that serves healthy fast food.
There are probably many fast food restaurants near you, so make sure to ask google, explore a bit, and find that place.
They have a huge variety of salad, wraps and full meals that are all healthy and clean, and they cook their meals healthy too.
What’s Your Favorite Healthy Fast Food Option?
I hope you liked my healthy fast food options.
Do you have a favorite fast food lunch idea you’d like to share?
Make sure to comment in the section below, and I’ll add it to my article.
Also, please keep in mind that fast food can never be healthier than home-cooked meals.
If you’re looking for a healthy meal plan, head on to check out my BBB 28-Day Meal Plan.
You’ll find hundreds of fast fix-ups and meal ideas in there, along with a guide on how to eat healthy and lose weight.
Till next time, babe!